TÜV Registration Germany & Austria

Here is some information to assist customers in Germany, Austria & Switzerland.

You can buy your Go-Pod within the EU at www.Go-Pod.com (our European website), and we can deliver to your home address. Or you can collect from Porto.

The following information was kindly supplied by a various customers from Germany, based on their own experiences of licensing of a NEW Go-Pod.

In order to register your Go-Pod, we providethe following documentation:

• The ORIGINAL of the EU Conformity Certificate matching to the chassis number of the trailer.

• A purchase invoice marked "PAID" from the vendor.

Customers say; "With these documents and an insurance cover certificate, it is possible to get a license plate for 3 years with a new car. Attach the plate on the vehicle and you're done."

Please note: It is the customer's responsibility to check that they comply with their regional regulations regarding all aspects of towing.

France: Carte Grise

Most of our French customers have bought their Go-Pods without prior viewing and always report that the Go-Pod was even better than they had expected.

The following advice from a lady called Sue explains the registration process for other French customers. She lives in France and has purchased a Go-Pod herself.

"Having just imported a Go-Pod myself, here is some advice on what you will need to register it in France.

You'll need to obtain the following documents -
Certificate of conformity - provided on request at collection.
Proof of your identity such as a passport or driving license.
Proof of your address - a utility bill or similar.
The invoice that’s also supplied on pick up.

Then take all of this to a company like Cartaplac in your area, (or possibly a garage), and speak to them. They will require a payment in the region of 100€ to process your regsitration.  All documents will be forwarded to Carte Grise - the new central organisation responsible for French registration documents.

You then simply wait for your new number plate to arrive. This can take some weeks so in the meantime, keep copies of the documents with you and use your car's registration number. The Gendarmes are fullyaware of the delay, so, if you are stopped there should be no problem."

Owner Amanda provided this information regarding why there are no VAT implications:

"Normally in the EU, the VAT on new vehicles is paid in the country where the vehicle is registered .

In France, to register a new vehicle, a document called a Quitus Fiscal ‌is needed from the local tax office, confirming that VAT has been paid in another EU country, (i.e. the UK), and therefore there is no liability for VAT in France.

However , there is an exemption for this document if the vehicle is a remorque. The definition of a remorque is a vehicle without a motor that is towed behind a car. This includes a Go-Pod. Therefore on going to register the Go-Pod you just need to say that a Quitus Fiscal is not necessary. So VAT is paid in the UK as part of the purchase price and there is no liability in France."

Owner Al says;

Registering a new pod in France by Go-Pod owner Al White.

This information is subject to change but is current as of February 2020. This is based on my recent experience so may be different for others. However I have been told that this is is what to expect.

French law requires anything towed over 500kgs to be registered. This means that it has to have it's own 'Carte Grise' (log-book) and individual registration plate. The Go-Pod falls into this category.

To register you need to be resident in France. Application is only possible via the internet and the site is only in French. You can do the online application yourself or pay an agent (usually a garage) to do this for you. Fees vary but are approximately 30 Euros plus the cost of the 'carte grise'. Mine was 68 Euros.

To do the registration yourself you first have to be registered on the ANTS site - Agence Nationale des Titres Sécurisés - ants.gouv.fr  This site is the National Agency for Secure Documents.

Personally I find the ANTS site difficult to navigate and it often 'crashes', so getting the garage to do it is a good option and worth every euro!

Documents required:

* Certificate of Conformity - supplied when you purchase your Go-Pod.

* Go-Pod insurance.

* Original receipt in your name - supplied when you purchase your Go-Pod.

* Proof of address in France - Power/phone/internet bill.

* Driving licence (UK one still accepted).

* Passport or identity card.

* Social security number from Tax office is useful.

They may not require all in the above list, but these are the documents I was asked to provide. Copies are made, so you do not have to post or part with originals.

Once submitted it can take 4 - 6 weeks to get the provisional registration, (Certicificate Provisoire d'Immatriculation), which legally allows you to take your Go-Pod on the road. The actual 'carte grise' may take another 4 weeks to arrive.

Hopefully this will help anyone living in France who is thinking of buying a Go-pod.

Al White also kindly offers viewings of his Go-Pod to people who are interested in buying one.

You can find his approximate location on the viewings map and contact him to request an appointment on [email protected]

Al has a 2020 Deluxe model Go-Pod.